In 1957 the Bishop of Leicester set aside St. Nicholas' to serve the spiritual needs of Leicester's growing student population.
Canon Arthur Widdess was appointed Vicar and first chaplain to the new University of Leicester.
Money received from the City of Leicester for church property demolished to make way for the new underpass and St. Nicholas' Circle was spent on the purchase of 27 Knighton Road as a Chaplaincy Centre.
Leicester's oldest building then took on another lease of life, continuing to serve the community in which it has stood for so long.
In 1989 the Leicester University Chaplaincy house on Knighton Road was sold; a new Chaplaincy Centre was created at The Gatehouse on University Road.
When Leicester Polytechnic became De Montfort University, its new Chaplaincy was established in Gateway Close.
There are no longer dedicated student services at St Nicholas, but the church remains popular with students, graduates and young professionals.
A warm welcome is always assured to newcomers.
Copyright ©2017 St Nicholas Church, Leicester: All rights reserved.