Pictured above, Rev'd David Cawley who was Priest-in-Charge in 1997 to 2001 with two of the ancient bells, prior to being rehung in 2002.
The central tower of this Church houses a chime of three ancient bells which were rehung in 2002 after over half a century on the ground. There is also a large swinging bell which replaced the ancient bells, and which now hangs alongside them.
The inscription on the large bell (affectionately known as Great Nick) is as follows:
(Border) GILLETT & JOHNSTON, FOUNDERS , CROYDON
COME ALL YE FAITHFUL
REV. ERIC C. G. WEEKS - VICAR
C WILLIAM R COOKE)
ALBERT GUNBY }
GEORGE H. PARKER - SEC. P.C.C.
It was cast in 1949 by Messrs. Gillett and Johnston of Croydon who also supplied the fittings and the steel frame in which it hangs. It has a diameter of 48.5 inches, is tuned to E natural, and weighs exactly 22-cwt. It is so hung as to exert no horizontal thrust on the tower.
The other bells hang fixed for chiming above it and bear the following incriptions:
Treble: IHS NAZARENVS REX 1656 G. OLDFIELD (26in diameter, 3-cwt, note D)
Cast by George Oldfield of Nottingham in 1656. What is surprising is that his name is cast on the bell, since his work is usually anonymous. The S of IHS is reversed and it is interesting to note that in the date figures, which are larger than the rest of the lettering, the letter S from hIs larger alphabet is used upside down as a 5. The bell was badly cracked, but has now been repaired.
Second: GOD SAVE HIS CHVRCH (Vine border) HENRY SMITH RICHARD HVNT (Border) / WARDENS 1710 (Arabesque border all round) (28in diameter, 4-cwt, note C#)
This bell was cast in 1710 by William Noone of the Nottingham foundry. The bell does not bear his name, but the ornamental borders and inscription are those commonly used by the Nottingham Foundry at that time. William Noone was then Master Founder at Nottingham and this must be taken as conclusive evidence that he cast the bell.
Tenor: (Brayser shield) CELORVM, CHRISTE PLATIAT. TIBI. REX SONVS. ISTE 1617
On the sound-bow, 7 coins. (32in diameter, 6.25-cwt, note B)
The old tenor bell is an example of the work of Hugh Watts of Leicester and was cast in 1617. It bears the Brayser shield, originally used in the 15th century by the Brayser Family of Bell Founders in Norwich, and one of the Watts' standard inscriptions.
Copyright ©2017 St Nicholas Church, Leicester: All rights reserved.